Welcome to my blog!

Why Jacaranda you ask? In case you are reading this the other side of the world and are not sure, Jacaranda is the name of a beautiful tree, which blooms around Oct/Nov, mostly in the Eastern states of Australia. Its flowers are the most exquisite shade of blue-purple, the nearest comparison probably being hyacinth blue, so who could not be inspired to write by such a spiritual colour? When the jacarandas start to blossom, you know it's exam time, but you also know that Christmas is just around the corner. It is said that if a jacaranda flower falls on your head as you walk underneath a tree, good fortune is sure to follow, so guess who did a lot of walking under jacaranda trees! Watch this space for changing images of this lovely tree!

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Glass harmonica

I never thought the day would come that I would feel as miffed about missing something (now that's given me the idea of creating a wonderful tongue-twister!) as I did when I somehow didn't realise that my idol John Le Carre was in town. (Now have to work out how you access an acute accent on this thing - alliteration is alive and well today!)

There has been a performance called Fractured again by Ensemble Offerings the last few days in the Great Hall of Sydney University, as part of the Sydney Festival 2010, which features a glass harmonica and other things glass and plastic.

I have never heard of a glass harmonica, but always one to be intrigued by the exotic and different, I'm spitting mad that I missed hearing this instrument, which apparently has the potential to drive people mad with its eerie tones. In a television interview, one of the players actually said the vibrations through her fingers and the resonance in her head had made her throw up!

Mind you added to the 41 degree heat today it probably would have been the final straw to drive me madder than I am.

If anyone has heard, played or knows more about this instrument or where I could next listen to one, would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment