Welcome to my blog!

Why Jacaranda you ask? In case you are reading this the other side of the world and are not sure, Jacaranda is the name of a beautiful tree, which blooms around Oct/Nov, mostly in the Eastern states of Australia. Its flowers are the most exquisite shade of blue-purple, the nearest comparison probably being hyacinth blue, so who could not be inspired to write by such a spiritual colour? When the jacarandas start to blossom, you know it's exam time, but you also know that Christmas is just around the corner. It is said that if a jacaranda flower falls on your head as you walk underneath a tree, good fortune is sure to follow, so guess who did a lot of walking under jacaranda trees! Watch this space for changing images of this lovely tree!

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The creative space in between




A rather odd connection between writing and flower arranging happened for me today. The tutor said to leave a space between the two different colours of gladioli. He referred to it as the creative space in between.

It made me think of the pauses in music, which the artistic director of my choir, says are just as important as the notes, if not more so.

However, it also made my brain veer off on a wild tangent to the writing of Michael Reilly, a young Sydney action writer, whose latest book The Five Greatest Warriors has topped the best seller list, even beating New Moon.

Although not the type of author I would usually read, I was introduced to Michael’s books by my brother. The first thing that struck me was Michael’s highly visual style of writing - a tribute, which unbeknown to me then, book reviewers ascribe to his work. What stands out in my mind is the description of a race in Michael’s novel Hover Car Racer. The writing went something like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




and so on.

This creative use of space was far more powerful and effective than any piece of dense prose he could have written to describe the race.

To see a review of Michael Reilly’s latest book The Five Greatest Warriors, go to my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment